In August 2020, One80 announced the acquisition of Strategic Underwriting Managers, Inc. (SUM), a Canada based Managing General Agent for property, casualty and other specialty insurance products. With offices in Toronto, Montreal, and Lachine, QC, SUM works collaboratively with best-in-class insurers and reinsurers to design, underwrite and deliver market leading insurance products to brokers throughout Canada.
SUM is empowered with broad, in-house binding authority on behalf of the world’s highest quality insurance carriers. This allows SUM to provide coverage to the most challenging insurance risks in real time. In addition to SUM’s in-house authority, the organization maintains relationships with a broad group of insurance markets, providing best-in-class products and services to their brokers and clients. SUM is licensed in every province and territory in Canada and does not require broker contracts or volume commitments.
Send Inquiries & Submissions to:
- Jeff Somerville, MBA | Canadian Markets Practice Leader
- Troy Bourassa, CIP, MBA | Senior Vice President, Operations
- Travis Budd, MBA | Senior Vice President and Professional Liability Practice Leader
- Serge Melanson, FCIP, B ADM | Senior Vice President
Have further questions? Let us know in our contact form and we’ll get back to you in the following days.
Click to Contact Us Form ⇨
This broad appetite is combined with the most complete product offering in the industry including the following covereages available:
- Course of Construction
- Wrap Up
- Products Liability
- Product Recall
- Medical Malpractice
- Clincial Trial
- $2,000,000 policy limit, with easy access to more limits via our in-house Umbrella/Excess liability facilities
- IBC Based Occurrence, Claims Made and Wrap Up forms available with all the extensions your clients require, including “sudden & accidental pollution”, product recall, failure to perform coverage, and blanket Additional Insured/Vendors among others
- Abuse liability is available on many classes
- Up to $10,000,000 policy limits on a variety of forms including site specific, non-site specific and project specific risks, for new and unknown conditions, available on either a full Environmental Impairment or on a Sudden & Accidental basis
- Up to $10,000,000 policy limits for Environmental Consultants E&O
- Our form combines various casualty insuring agreements including premises & operations liability, products liability, errors and omissions, malpractice, clinical trial and D&O covers with limits up to $25,000,000, and access to more
- We have the broadest offering in Canada, with value added extensions like admitted cover for US domiciled exposures, pollution and bio contamination, tampering, recall, and cyber liability to name a few
We have limits up to $10,000,000 available on most insuring agreements.
Our offering includes:
- Carriers Legal Liability
- Freight broker/Load broker Legal Liability (a complimentary P&C package including NOA usually available)
- Direct Damage Cargo Insurance
- Stock Throughput Insurance
- Marine Liability (ship repairers, stevedores, marinas etc.)
- Hull and Machinery
Our standalone product covers contamination, tampering and extortion for a wide range of industries, from perishables like food and beverage, to “hard” goods like auto parts. See our Cannabis Insurance Programme section for Recall covers tailored to the unique requirements of Licensed Cannabis Producers.
- Up to $20,000,000 in policy limits available on a variety of insuring agreements, allowing us to tailor cover to your client’s risk and budget. Our cover provides value pre-loss with risk management assistance, financial protection and crisis management during an event and business interruption protection after an insured event.
Our appetite includes, but is not limited to, primary and excess:
- Architects & Engineers (practice policies, single projects, design build, Product Manufacturers and Suppliers, Bill 124 and more)
- Environmental Consultants
- Miscellaneous Professional Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Insurance Brokers E&O
- Cyber, Privacy, Media and IP Risks
- Non-Profit D&O, Management Liability for Private Companies
- IT E&O for Media and technology professio
- Employment and Travel Agencies / Tour guides
- Up to $5,000,000 in limits on most risks
- Wide variety of coverage forms, including builders risk, contractors’ equipment and office packages
- Written on IBC based All-risks or Fire & EC wordings, replacement cost available
- Can include Boiler and Business Interruption
- Modest inspection and policy fees
- Up to $15,000,000 policy limit, CAD or US currency, with attachments as low as $1,000,000 on most legal liability policies
*Please note this is a brief summary of insurance coverages that SUM Insurance offers. For full coverage details refer to the actual policy wordings.